ACT therapist (Registered Psychologist or Clinical Psychologist)
- Sub-contractor within well-established private practice (Mindwise Psychology Illawarra)
- Flexible hours (one to five days a week)
- Location in Wollongong CBD
About Mindwise Psychology Illawarra
Mindwise Psychology Illawarra is a team of psychologists in Wollongong, specialising in ACT (Acceptance and Commitment Therapy) and other psychotherapies grounded in mindfulness and other aspects of contextual functionalism (see more here). We are passionate about using these frameworks to assist ourselves and our clients to live rich, meaningful, contented lives.
We have well-established relationships with a range of referral sources including medical professionals, Employee Assistance Programs, and NDIS partners, in addition to an eager word-of-mouth following in the community. Referrals are mainly adult individuals, along with not insignificant numbers of adolescents, children, couples and other relationship dyads (or occasionally groups).
We are looking to expand our team to answer the demand for psychological services to be provided to our clients funded partially/wholly by Medicare, Victim’s Services, employers, private funding or insurance (workers compensation and motor vehicle accident claims).
This position is conveniently located in the legal precinct of Wollongong. The rooms are very pleasant and comfortable, with lots of natural light, plants, older style architecture, and a peaceful ambience. Each room has its own air-conditioner, as well as windows that open, giving very good pandemic protection. Currently there are also plenty of options for telehealth (remote) service provision. You would have ample professional freedom to exercise your own style, and build your own case load. Starting with probably one or two days per week, if you are able to effectively help your clients, you would be able to build to a full-time case load if you so wished (or remain part-time if you prefer).
Your key responsibilities would be to:
- Provide psychological consultation to clients referred to Mindwise, and allocated to you
- Plan your therapeutic approach to assisting clients, drawing on your professional skills and resources, and to communicate regarding interventions, progress, and re-referral, as needed
- Use our practice software (Halaxy) for professional duties specific to your clinical work (record case notes, writing and sending letters and reports), and some administrative duties needing to be done when the client is with you (take payments, issue receipts, re-book clients)
- Communicate with the Principal Psychologist and other admin staff as necessary for smooth operations
Requirements for Success
- Registration with AHPRA as “Registered Psychologist” or “Clinical Psychologist”
- Trained and experienced in Acceptance & Commitment Therapy (ACT) and/or its “cousins” (DBT, CFT, MBCT, FAP)
- Training/interest in Attachment Theory, Psychobiological Approach to Couples Therapy (PACT), the neuro-scientific basis of trauma, body-based psycho-therapies (eg Somatic Experiencing, Yoga Therapy) would also be to your advantage
- Other therapeutic frameworks/interests that are consistent with ACT are also welcomed and encouraged
- Ability to apply contextual behavioural approaches to a wide range of behavioural contexts and psychological issues
- Medicare provider (or willingness to arrange this)
- NDIS, Victims of Crime, SIRA provider (or willingness to arrange these) would be an advantage
- Professional skills (report-writing, note-taking, ethical conduct, etc)
- Highly developed written and verbal communication skills with strong interpersonal and problem solving capabilities
Culture & Benefits
Working with Mindwise will offer you rewarding opportunities to make a difference to the lives of a range of clients. We have an innovative and supportive culture guided by our values of respect, compassion, appreciation, integrity, and care of the environment.
Diversity & Inclusion
Mindwise celebrates diversity and strives to reflect contemporary Australian society, in order to better serve our clients. We welcome and encourage applications from Men, Women, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, Culturally and Linguistically Diverse people, People with Disability, Sexually and Gender Diverse people, people with lived experience of adversity and from people of all ages.